Friday, March 12, 2010

Tooey...the MAN!


This is my man! Tooey...Too-Man-Chu...my little buddy. Andrew, my son, and I went to the pet store just for fun about 2 1/2 years ago. Just browsing...no purchase intended. But lo and behold....right as we walk in the door, in a large open glass tank, there sits (or runs) two guinea pigs. Oh how pretty the one was! Gray and bright white, pudgy physique, clear dark eyes...sooo handsome! I always wanted a gray one and in my 35 years of guinea pig ownership I never had one! And he was free...Just buy a bag of food! Well, you know what happened. Spartano was going home with me. "But Mom! What about the other one? He's all alone now!", Andrew remarked rather sadly. "I don't know if I want him, Andrew. He has a pointy nose and looks like a rat. I already have two and three will be enough." "You can't just leave him here by himself! Pleeeeease get him! He's free!" As the mom of seven kids, Andrew the youngest, I should have a grasp on this parenting thing by now. Kids seem to have better intuition on some things. Maybe because their brains aren't as clogged as ours are yet. Free. I like free. OK. So I took him. Ratatouille or Tooey. Only days later it became clear. Tano was a bore. Very little personality. Pretty, but boring. But Tooey....!!! Feisty, funny, frisky, friendly, and a complete joy! I can't imagine life without him now. Loving animals has taught my daughter and six sons gentleness, responsibility, sacrifice, joy, sorrow, unselfish giving, and has developed more character in them than I could have done myself. Pets change us from just animalkind, to mankind. We love you Tooey!
Proverbs 12:10
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, But even the compassion of the wicked is cruel."

10 comments:

  1. Awww....I always wanted a guinny pig. We always had kitty's so didn't think it was a good idea. He's darling. It's so true. Our pets are great teachers of love, trust and character. They are special gifts from papa. I'm following your blog, too.
    :o) button

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I went to a pet store I came home with two fish & wasn't sure how that happened - I told my kids they could get a toy for the dog, but not buy anything living. Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love It!! What a wonderful Blog post and photo!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story!!! Pets are everything to humankind. You sit in a waiting room at a doctor's office, no one speaks. Sit in a waiting room at the vets and everyone is talking about their pets, telling stories, sharing. Its so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic, Patty!!! ;-)
    Kelly
    God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet story and a food reminder that looks aren't everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a heartwarming post. "Pets change us from just animalkind, to mankind." I love that. So true. Hugs to your little Tooey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the story. Tooey is a cutie after all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i always think of him when i go past Touhy ave out here, almost the same :)

    ReplyDelete